50 Essential Tools for a More Productive Job Search
Do you ever wonder how other job seekers organize and manage their job search? Or how do some candidates stand out from the crowd more than others? Or why are some people more productive and seem to achieve greater results? The answer: online tools and apps. JobMana has compiled a list of 50 amazing online tools and apps that can help job seekers during the job search process and even after when they have landed that amazing job.
*Note: Even if you are not a job seeker, a number of these tools can be useful in improving productivity at work.
Create Visual Resumes
1. Visual CV – Build dynamic and secure online resumes where you can combine video, audio, and other multimedia elements to enhance your profile.
2. Visualize Me – Create a visual timeline of your career experience by setting up a new account or connecting with LinkedIn.
3. Re.Vu – Create a visually stunning online resume with this simple and fast interface and start telling your career story online.
Organize Job Search Applications
4. StartWire – Helps job seekers stay organized by providing tools to manage all of their job applications in one central location.
5. JibberJobber – Helps job seekers track jobs they are interested in and have applied to; also helps track networking opportunities with contacts and targeted companies.
6. ApplyMate – Makes it easy to track job applications with a simple job tracking tool and reminder system.
Build To-Do Lists
7. Remember the Milk – Makes it easy to remember all the things you need to do during your job search with convenient to-do lists.
8. Teux Deux – Features a simple, designy to-do app for people who love to make to-do lists.
9. Astrid – Helps individuals get organized with all of their tasks and also allows collaboration on tasks too.
10. Workflowy – An organizational tool to make your days more productive – they say it’s a new way to organize your brain.
11. NowDoThis – One of the simplest to-do list to keep you focus during your day, type in a list online and mark them off as you complete the tasks.
12. Wunderlist – An easy task management tool with a simple and clean user interface.
Keep on Task
13. Rescue Time – Want to know how you really spend your day online? Did you spend enough time searching for jobs rather than socializing? Find out.
14. Keep Me out – Are you addicted to certain websites and can’t get any job hunting done? Now you can designate how much time you can spend on a certain sites over a specified time interval.
15. Online Clock – Want to be alerted when a certain amount of time has elapsed such as after a good 30 minutes of networking with people on LinkedIn? Try this online clock.
Improve Email with Gmail Boosts
16. WiseStamp – Email signature and online personality rolled all into one, easily allows you to add social links to signature such as LinkedIn, latest updates, and more.
17. Rapportive – Provides a way to get rich contact profile information about individuals who you’ve connected with through email, allowing you to get to know someone a little more and start building rapport.
18. Canned Responses – Okay this is not a “tool” more of a feature of Gmail, but canned responses is a must. It allows job seekers to save a template message and reuse it over and over again. This is perfect for sending off those emails when applying for jobs.
19. Boomerang – One of our favorites. Boomerang allows you to schedule what time you would like an email to be sent out with Gmail. Perfect for when you find a job late at night and want to schedule to send job applications early in the morning.
Manage Contacts & Business Cards
20. Plaxo – Allows users to unify all of their contact info in a single, smart address book that’s secure in the cloud, organized, and available wherever you are.
21. CardCloud – Makes it easy for professionals to share digital business card from phone to phone or via email.
22. Cardflick (iphone) – Create digital versions of your business card by choosing one of 20 beautiful, customizable themes for a unique business card design.
23. CardMunch (iphone) – Take a picture of all the business card from your networking events and the contact is created automatically – can also connect with individuals on LinkedIn.
Discover Networking Events
24. Meetup – Search through thousands of groups that share a common interest, most groups have professional networking events across the nation.
25. LinkedIn – Features networking events for different industries and career interests.
26. EventBrite – Brings people together whether in a business environment or social.
27. NetParty – Showcases networking events that allow young professionals to network with each other on a business level and interact with each other on a social level.
28. LastPass – A password management system (comes in handy with all those profiles job seekers create on different sites) and also allows you to automatically fill out forms.
29. Clipperz – An anonymous online password manager where local encryption within the browser guarantees that no one except you can read your data and there is nothing to install.
30. PassPak – Store passwords securely online. Better than your memory. More durable than paper.
Store and Access all your Files
31. Dropbox – Store, share, and sync files with multiple computer and media devices with 2GB free.
32. Box – Makes simple secure sharing for files available anywhere; it’s like a hard drive in the cloud for online storage with 5GB free.
Brainstorm your Job Search Strategy
33. Gliffy – A great online diagram and flowchart software for your brainstorming sessions.
34. Flowchart – You guessed it, an online flowchart application to help you connect the dots during your job search.
35. MindMeister – Trying to plan your job search strategy, diagram it with a mind map; basic version allows for 3 free mind maps.
Set your Career Goals
36. Stickk – A new way to set and achieve your career goals by setting the goal, stakes, referees, and friends for support.
37. 43 Things – A community of goal setters and goal achievers where you can find support for the career goals you have.
38. 21 Habit – Create a good habit or break a bad one – start with $21 and each day you succeed, you get a $1 back, if you fail, $1 gets donated to charity.
Takes Notes on Everything That Matters
39. Springpad – Smart online notebooks to save, share and act on what’s important to you.
40. Simplenote – An easy way to keep notes, lists, ideas, and more.
41. EverNote – Remember everything during your job search with EverNote – write notes, organize, clip websites, save articles, and more.
Organize all your Favorite Job Search Sites
43. Xmarks – Bookmark your favorite sites and sync across all the popular browsers.
44. Pocket – With so much awesome career articles and job search tips out there, job seekers might want to view it later, and they can by putting it in their “pocket.”
45. Readability – Turns any web page into a clean view for reading now or later on your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
Listen to Music to get in the Zone
46. Spotify – Showcases a social music community to see what your friends and other people are listening to; create your own music playlist to help you focus during your online job searching.
47. Pandora – Features a personalized online radio that plays music you’ll love and helps you discover new music and enjoy old favorites.
48. Live365 – Discover 5000+ online radio stations run by broadcasters and music lovers around the world.
49. 8Tracks – Find a quick way to choose the type of music you want to listen and get some awesome music.
Discover your Work Personality & Strengths
50. Briggs Myers Personality Test – Discover your personality and see what careers are most suitable for you.
51. Career Path – Brought to us by CareerBuilder, features 5+ career tests to help individuals discover the career right them.
52. SimilarMinds – Presents a list of different personality tests to help learn more about yourself.
Did We Miss Any of Your Favorite Job Search Tools? We’d Love for You to Comment Below:
P.S. Please feel free to share with others including your readers so we can reach and help more job seekers. Thank You!
P.S.S. If you found this resource helpful, give a little support by LIKING US on Facebook or FOLLOWING US on Twitter. If you want to keep in the loop with the latest updates, sign up for our EMAIL UPDATES or our RSS FEED. Thanks!